WEBSITE - ERINLOREE.COM

Monday, January 24, 2011

Encaustic Adventures!

I wanted to show a few pieces that I made last semester in Nicole Collins' class "Process as Art: Meaning of Materials". For all three projects, I worked with encaustic sculpturally and 2-Dimensionally. It was my first time working in encaustic and I encountered many challenges and frustrations. I had to relinquish my need to control the outcome and "follow the paint". Once I was able to let go, each piece proved to be an exciting collaboration between me and the medium.

For this piece, I made a wire mesh armature and brushed melted wax over the wire until it built up this wart-like surface. I loved that it evolved into this weird, conch-like creature. I haven't taken photos of the finished piece yet.


This is a 3.5 x 5 foot encaustic on panel. Since it was my first encaustic painting I wanted to explore all that the medium could do. I experimented with dripping wax, melting it with a heat gun, scraping it away and smoothing the surface with an iron. All of these methods created such amazingly different textures! It is also my first blue painting, which is pretty exciting.


For this piece, I found a beautiful piece of bark in High Park and made a silicone mold of it. I cast the mold in wax in an attempt to create "bruised flesh". Sadly, this piece got destroyed over the holidays but I'm glad that I got a chance to document it before its untimely death!


No comments:

Post a Comment